Thursday, February 18, 2016

How to make a jig for making beehive handles using a skill saw













How to make a jig for making beehive handles using a skill saw.

I am in the middle of a beehive making project and I wanted to make those professional looking handles.

After doing my research I decided to make a circular saw jig for the job. 

I first designed my two rails on a scrap piece of plywood and then cut it out on my bandsaw.

I then glued the pieces together using carpet tape and sanded them flush on the belt sander.

I then cut a few other pieces on my table saw. For the cross cuts I used my sled.

I made some pocket holes with my kreg jig. I glued and screwed  the pieces together. 

I then cut some thinner plywood pieces on my bandsaw, to act as rail fences. I screwed them in place. 

I used my circular saw to match the distance between the rails. It should match the width of my skill saw’s plate.

I predrilled a few pilot holes and screwed in the back cleat.

I added the front cleat using a plywood piece as a spacer. I also screwed in the front fence of my jig.

The jigs gets clamped over the panel in a way that the circular saw comes down on the rails and cuts with the side of the blade and creates a circular groove.

This type of handle is created typically on beehive making, but I think it works just fine on cabinets and drawers, it is really strong and looks really nice.



You can watch other people making similar stuff here: 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete