Friday, November 6, 2015

How to make a DIY serving tray with the cnc









I needed a serving tray and I decided to make one out of plywood using my cnc machine.

First of all I designed my tray in illustrator. I wanted the side pieces to be joined with finger joints. The bottom would slide in place through grooves.

After the design process was over, I imported my paths into easel, my cnc’s software.

The machine cut out all the side pieces out of 8mm plywood. The cmc leaves tabs behind. To clean those up I found that the best way, is using my 2/8 carving gauge. 

I then cut out the bottom piece on my table saw. I used my cross cut sled for the cross cut.

I wanted the bottom to be painted with a fluo green color. I masked the area I didn’t want to get painted, with paper tape. I wanted a simple triangle that comes from the diagonal of the bottom. I spray painted the piece, with a few light coats.

I sanded everything with 240 grit sandpaper.

I glued everything together with wood glue and my picture frame clamp.

To fill the gaps on some of my joints, I filled a syringe with wood glue. I applied the glue to the gap, wipe off the excess glue and sand over to fill the gap with wood dust.

My tray is ready. I think it is pretty strong, light weight and good looking! I hope you like it too!

1 comment:

  1. Love the tray...can you share the file with me? I would love to make it ...thank you
    B

    ReplyDelete