Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Make a wooden animation toy out of scrap wood







This is the classic "put the bird in the cage" game. One side has the bird and the other has the cage flipped. If you turn the disc fast, the brain takes the two images as one and as a result you see the bird inside the cage.

First of all I design my half basic shapes on a heavy piece of paper. 

Then I cut the paper and use it as a template on a scrap piece of plywood. After I draw one side, I flip the paper over to trace the other side. 

Then I cut the pieces on the scroll saw.

I sand with 120 grit sandpaper.

I drill the holes in the drill press.

I assemble the piece joining everything with a thin dowel.

I draw the cage with my pyrographer and then I flip the piece and draw the bird.

My piece is ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment